BAFE has now launched a comprehensive guide to the revised SP101 scheme on the BAFE website which can be found here:
Here you will find information regarding:
- An overview of the scheme (including an official statement regarding the change from SP101/ST104 to SP101)
- How to become a BAFE SP101 registered organisation/technician
- Asbestos awareness / Health & Safety training information
- The BAFE Diploma
- The BS 5306 Exam (where IFEDA are noted)
- The Technician Competency Portfolio
- How to check/validate an extinguisher technician is BAFE registered
All SP101 organisations will be contacted to remind them of the scheme changes and that the new scheme document is now in effect.
Do you install and commission fire extinguishers? Can never find the manufacturers’ stated weight to use as a reference? Problem over. IFEDA has launched an android app just for you. To find the app, priced at just £10, you can simply go on the Google Play Store and search for “IFEDA Toolbox”, alternatively you can use one of these links:
With a number of its members wondering about the quality of water used to fill fire extinguishers, especially those filled at various locations around the world. IFEDA has taken the opportunity to engage the services of a water testing company to carry out some in-depth analysis. The results can be found in the attached press-release.
IFEDA will be running the following course in Exeter:-
Fire & Safety Signs – A technical Perspective.
When: 25th July
Time: 09:30 1/2 day
Cost: £70 + vat
Course feedback includes:- “a very enjoyable course, we learned a lot and I have already implemented a couple of instant changes. The course will certainly help with my FRA’s as to what is a requirement and what can be recommended. The half a day was about right”. “An extremely informative and well delivered course with outstanding and comprehensive hand-outs for future reference.”
This half-day workshop covers topics such as:-
- Safety Signs i.e. Classification, Performance Requirements, Design principles, Geometric Shapes, Safety & Contrast Colours for Safety Signs – BS ISO 3864-1:2011. Sizes and Viewing Distances BS ISO 3864-1:2011 and BS 5499-4:2013. Photo-luminescent Safety Signs What are they and how do they work? Categorisation of Safety Signs According to BS EN ISO 7010.
Normative and Legal Framework
- Principles of a SWGS with reference to BS ISO 16069:2004. Location Levels, Sign Types and their Application, Markings and Strips & Escape Plans – Alarm Zone Plans
- Selection and Positioning of Signs For:- Exit & Fire Doors, Fire Fighting Equipment, Warning/Hazards and Stairwells.
- Site Surveys:- Tips on carrying out a site survey
- Test:- open book exam and then discussion of the answers in case clarification is required.
Should you wish to book please email us on email@example.com
Following a very informative and popular workshop at the IFEDA National Conference Charles Grosstephan is delighted to announce that:-
Thornton & Lowe can now award Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points to delegates!
Thornton & Lowe are now accredited to award CPD points to delegates who attend their training workshops. Delegates can be assured not only of attending one of the UK’s exceptional quality-accredited CPD training programmes but also of the ability to earn valuable CPD points.
Following a comprehensive process, Thornton & Lowe now award CPD credits/points to delegates attending the following courses:
- Introduction to Bidding
- Improving Success Rates
- Bid Writing
- Our 2 Day Bid/Tender Masterclass
Thornton & Lowe are extremely proud to be at the forefront of CPD training. Enjoyed by thousands of delegates each year, their dynamic and interactive training allows business owners and key decision makers to invest in those staff members who wish to possess the necessary skills to write exceptional bids.
To join the thousands of delegates attending Thornton & Lowe’s training workshops each year or if you would like more information, please get in touch with Charles Grosstephan on 01204 238 046 & 01334 208 312 or email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be advised that IFEDA will be running a networking and information day
When: 4th April
Where: Cranage Hall, Holmes Chapel, CW4 8EW (junc 18 M6)
Time: 10:30 – 16:00
This event is free to IFEDA members and is the ideal opportunity to network with fellow business owners and catch-up on all the latest news/products from your industry.
Your national chairman and other members of the committee will be in attendance. Given the proposed update to BAFE ST104 and that BS5306-3: 2017 is due to come out for public comment there will be much to discuss.
The day will run similar to our last IFEDA North in 2015 with news and issues from IFEDA and talks/workshops which so far include, given the interest in office systems to automate/reduce paperwork, a multi-member recommended product called ‘Alarm Master’
More workshop details to follow.
Steve Winter, Director of Wight Fire & Security was delighted to tell me about their recent success in the Isle of Wight, Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence Awards. Steve said “The award was open to any business on the island with less than 25 employees so we were absolutely thrilled to have won. It was also very pleasing that a large proportion of the other winners were already clients of ours so we are obviously doing something right. We have received a large amount of local press after winning the award and have definitely noticed an increase in business during the last few weeks of December and the first few weeks of January.”