IFEDA, the Independent Fire Engineering & Distributors Association, was founded in 1989, to provide an independent representative body of fire trade companies.
Membership of this fire trade association is based on the democratic principle of one member one vote; with everyone (irrelevant of company size or turnover) being treated equally and paying the same subscription.
The objectives of IFEDA, as a trade association, are to support members and promote quality industry standards and procedures within the fire safety industry. This is achieved through:
- Ensuring members achieve and maintain a quality system in accordance with BS EN ISO 9001: 2015 in line with requirements of the appropriate BAFE scheme
- Ensuring members operate the appropriate BAFE scheme/s requiring the licensing of all service personnel e.g. SP101for fire extinguisher servicing, SP203 for fire alarms
- Providing communication on key legislative changes and other industry related news
- Providing a bank of data, technical memos, and other relevant information
- To regularly produce newsletters keeping members informed
- To provide training courses to keep members, and non-members, up-to-date with certificated qualifications, including BAFE recognised training courses; of which fire extinguisher training is of paramount importance
IFEDA is also instrumental in promoting the benefits of these quality and professional industry standards to insurance companies, fire authorities, governments departments and other fire trade companies. Leading the way in training IFEDA offers, amongst others, fire extinguisher training courses. IFEDA continues to champion third party accreditation for fire risk assessments and their importance, following the introduction of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. Fire risk assessments is an area often overlooked by businesses, and IFEDA, by assisting members and promoting quality and fire safety is keen to improve the industry standards of fire risk assessments delivered to business owners and industry as a whole.
Members benefit from help and support in the form of on-going training, and industry recognised training courses. From fire extinguisher servicing, to fire fire alarms and dry riser servicing, there are various courses available throughout the year. Courses are held at our dedicated training venues in Southampton, Caerphilly and Chester as well as other venues when required.
Of course, as a member of this fire trade association you’ll also receive regular communication, both in the form of e-news, business and technical memos and printed newsletters containing up-to-date and relevant information relating to the fire protection industry.
If you, as the Responsible Person, are looking for a fire protection company for your fire extinguisher servicing or any other aspect of fire safety and protection such as fire alarms and fire risk assessments, then look for the IFEDA logo: a sign demonstrating that the company has achieved, or is actively working towards, third party accreditation through ISO 9001 and BAFE. Our commitment to third party accreditation helps us to promote quality standards in the fire industry through independent auditing and assessment.